Getting in ‘ship shape’
August 31, 2018
In the last post, we shared the journey north from Florida aboard our new Lagoon, arriving early Saturday exhausted and exhilarated after a very successful sail. Understandably, we took most of that weekend off to sleep, do laundry, and plan the move aboard. We would have just shy of one month to get everything in ship shape before our tenants moved into the house.
First things first, everything aboard needs to go. Maybe not for good, but out of every locker, cupboard, and drawer. Tools need to be assessed, parts need to be inventoried, and old cookware needs to be tossed.
You see, when living aboard a sailboat, with cramped quarters and minimal space, it is CRITICAL to keep everything organized, secured, tidy, and clean, especially because the whole point of living on a sailboat is to sail, and things tend to move around a lot when the boat is moving. Ship shape means there is a place for everything, and everything must be in its place.
Erik was in charge of tools, parts, and supplies and my domain was galley and determining who would get what lockers and drawers for our personal stuff. It took almost a full week to haul it all out. Tool after tool after tool would be located – some under the sink in every head, others in the settee lockers, and most in every single cabinet and drawer throughout the boat. My favorite hidey-hole for yet another secret socket set was in the side table next to the bed in the guest cabin. You never know when you’ll be taking a nap and need a socket set to fix something. Clever!
After we got everything off the boat, Erik made fast work of organizing the exterior lockers and lazarettes, putting parts and tools in places that made a bit more sense. For example, instead of storing the battery charger in the salon, next to the canned peas and dry pasta, the battery charger is now stored outside in a waterproof locker directly across from the batteries that power the Solomon drives. Common sense, people, that is why he’s my man.
In addition, we decided to convert the V-berth into what we now call the Garage – this is where we store the vacuum, mop, engine parts/products, extra water, shrunk-wrapped winter clothes and blankets, sewing supplies, extra coolers, the salon cushion, some of the guitar gear, well, you get my point. The garage.
I spent almost a week gifting the marina with old towels, appliances, flatware, dishware, sheets, and other miscellaneous items that I did not want, but was hopeful would be useful for someone else. Question: How many of you keep your deck brush and empty big gulp cups underneath your galley sink? Anyone?
I was in a tossing frenzy by then – I threw out the old booze with 1/8” of rum left in the bottle; almost every dry good left aboard, some of which expired in 2015; even my Wushtof steak knives that I packed onto the boat for the sail north (oye, now that was dumb of me), and nearly six (6) opened packets of tushie wipes. Look, I am not gonna judge some of you who wipe your bum after going number 2 with a tush wipe but I just personally find it disgusting to wad it up in a trash can in such a confined space. The macerator can do its job, thank you very much. Five squares people, five squares – just don’t be greedy.
After I got everything old gone, it was time to clean her. Let me tell you, cleaning this boat was no easy task. I spent a full week cleaning ceilings, windows, counters, and drawers, inside and out. Every toilet, every ledge, every square inch was cleaned. First with anti-bacterial product, then with wood protectant. It was not fast but I felt a certain pleasure when I bleached the shower and bathroom. That was easy and fast to be honest. The worst part of course was finding almost every cupboard and drawer had little black poppy seeds in them.
That is what I choose to call cockroach poop. They look just like poppy seeds, although I’m pretty sure I’ll never ever be able to eat another poppy seed muffin or bagel like EVER AGAIN. (Note to self: Buy 24-pack of Combat off Amazon ASAP.) Finally, all window treatments were removed, and hand washed in bleach water then put on the delicate cycle, hanging to dry. My biggest worry with that project was the crisp creases would collapse and I’d be stuck ironing about 40 panels. No thanks.
Meanwhile, Erik took to the exterior, cleaning the deck, cockpits (both fore and aft), fly bridge, sugar scoops, windows, basically every square inch of the exterior was cleaned. Erik got every scuff and rust mark off the gel coat that he could, thanks to the magic eraser and spray 9!
With everything clean, it was now time to move aboard. The big move was planned for the 3-day Labor Day weekend. How ironic that was. After that, our focus would have to shift to finishing the move out and storage of the last remaining items in the house, cleaning her top to bottom, and figuring out what to do about the massive garden that needs some loving help. We have just under two weeks to go until the tenants are here.